BSL’s origins are rooted in the Ottoman era. On January 2nd, 1919, the bank was transferred to a private company with French capital.
Under the French mandate, the bank has known several name changes starting as Banque de Syrie and then becoming Banque de Syrie et du Grand Liban in 1924. In 1939 it was named Banque de Syrie et du Liban.
1924 marked a turning point for the bank as it was granted the privilege of issuing banknotes. The currency changed consecutively from Syrian Lira to Lebanese Syrian Lira and finally to Lebanese Lira. The banknotes were initially convertible to French Francs and continued to be issued after Lebanon’s independence in 1943 under French management until 1963.
The Central Bank of Lebanon, Banque Du Liban (BDL), was established under law decree #12825 and became responsible for the issuance of banknotes.
During this period, the bank, owned by Lebanese and French shareholders, changed its name to Société Nouvelle de la Banque de Syrie et du Liban (SNBSL) to announce the cessation of its activities related to issuing banknotes and its transition to a full-fledged commercial bank.
A large number of BSL executives were recruited by BDL because of their expertise and know-how Société Nouvelle de la Banque de Syrie et du Liban (SNBSL)
has been widely associated with the contemporary history of Lebanon. It had, and will continue to have, an active role in advancing the country’s economic development.
BSL has adapted itself to the evolving needs of its clients by providing them with special and personalized high-quality services. This has prompted the bank to build a solid reputation and great renown for its professionalism.
The Bank is currently registered under No. 12510 in the Lebanese Commercial Register and listed under No. 68 at the Central Bank of Lebanon, and the official name of the bank has become BSL BANK SAL.